Saturday, 30 August 2025

Can we please stop calling little children various versions of "motu," even if that is adoringly? Because our media AND the society have shaped us to hate fat bodies. Children have baby fat and I know of no Zumba or CrossFit to blast away their belly fat, at least. I might be lazy but your 3 year old kid is not. I've dealt with children and teenagers for a good part of my life and seen them be extremely insecure about their weight, when they actually fit the acceptable BMI ranges for their ages. They open up to me about being bullied at school or even by their own families about it, having tried to lose what is extremely natural body fat at as young as 10 years old. They open up to me because they feel like I am one of them- fat and trying to lose it, constantly, for at least the last 15 years of my life.
I've seen 11 year old girls worry that they're too fat because their mothers were pressurising them into believing that these children don't look as beautiful as their mothers.
A lot of us go about preaching teenagers about their excess weight and binge eating spells. Like, have you ever heard of puberty? It happens. My hormones drive me crazy even now, how can we expect a 13 year old to control their urges, especially when they have non-supportive adults like these around?
Even this post is driven by an Instagram post where an infant was being lovingly described as "motu" and I'm surely going to regret posting it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment